It can be difficult for petite females and just short people in general to find the right size bike. It’s not just a curse on only small people though, for extremely tall people, it can be difficult to find the right bike as well. Sometimes our body types don’t fit the standard-sized bike mold.
There are two common complaints that short ladies encounter.
- The seat position is always too high, even at the lowest position. The problem is that your feet can’t touch the ground when at a stop. Trying to make quick and firm contact with the ground on your tippy-toes as you fall sideways and moments away from smacking the pavement does not instill confidence. Even with the seat in the lowest position, partners and bike professionals tell you to raise the seat even higher to be in the proper riding form!
- With standard-sized bikes being designed for taller people, gripping the handlebars requires leaning forward and stretching. This constant stretching to reach the handlebars makes turns difficult. You feel like you’re stuck in a falling forward position and can not return to an upright position. These issues can destroy your confidence in safely riding, stopping, or dismounting the bike.
It’s frustrating and disappointing shopping for bikes to find most bikes’ geometry won’t work for your body type.
Most short people entertain the idea of buying a kid’s bike as a solution. Is that an option? Of course, it is. Being short and riding a kid’s bike seems to bring the bike closer to the proper size and reinstill confidence. But you can still consider an adult bike as well.
This comprehensive review will focus on kid and adult girl bikes with 24″ wheels ideal for ladies 4’5”-4’9” in height.
Top 10 Best Bikes For Short Women Reviewed
1. Diamondback Bicycles Tess 24 Youth Girls 24″ Wheel Mountain Bike Blue…click image to see more on Amazon All of the best bikes for short women on this list have good points. However, the clear winner is the Diamondback Bicycles, without a doubt. Diamondback Bicycles Tess 24 Youth Girls 24″ Wheel Mountain Bike Blue features a Shimano Tourney 3×7 speed drivetrain with 21 speeds. Hl Zoom 40mm travel fork soaks up bumps along the way. Linear pull brakes have adjustable-reach levers to keep them safe and in control.See more on Amazon…
2. Vertical Alpine Eagle 24″ Bike…click image to see more on Amazon Quick-release seat post allows for quick and easy set-up and adjustment for short women. The padded saddle provides a super comfortable ride, and the solid steel kickstand makes resting the bike after a challenging ride a cinch. See more on Amazon…
3. Huffy 24″ Women’s Nel Lusso Cruiser Bike 54576 Mint Wire Basket
4. Huffy 24″ Nel Lusso Women’s Cruiser Bike Purple Satin
5. Roadmaster – 24 Inches Granite Peak Girl’s Mountain Bike Purple…click image to see more on Amazon The Perfect Fit frame is an exclusive design that’s ideal for casual and recreational riders. The raised handlebars let you ride in an upright riding position, which is more natural for your back, arms, and hands. The padded seat on this purple cruiser bike is designed to be a little farther back and has a lower center of gravity. It also comes with a front basket, a rear rack, and a beverage cup holder.See more on Amazon…
6. 24″ Royce Union RTT Women’s 21-Speed Mountain Bike Aluminum Frame Trigger Shift White…click image to see more on Amazon RTT features a lightweight, durable aluminum frame for easier handling on the trails. The Shimano EZ Fire Plus Trigger & TY 300 rear indexed derailleur deliver 21 speeds of ultra-smooth shifting. Lightweight alloy linear-pull brakes with machined alloy wheel rims enable superior brake pad contact to deliver smooth stopping power. The padded saddle, with quality side stitching, can be adjusted for the perfect height and angle.See more on Amazon…
7. Mongoose Exlipse Full Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike for Kids Featuring 15-Inch/Small Steel Frame and 21-Speed Shimano Drivetrain with 24-Inch Wheels Kickstand Included Pink…click image to see more on Amazon Mongoose Exlipse 24″ girl’s a full-suspension mountain bike. 21 speeds with Shimano derailleur provide smooth and precise shifting. Strong but lightweight steel frame with front and rear suspension. Front & rear linear-pull brakes provide all-condition braking for sure stops. Comes equipped with a strong but lightweight. steel frame, front, and Rear suspension, the front. & rear linear-pull brakes.See more on Amazon…
8. Huffy 24” Womens Nel Lusso Cruiser Bike with Basket Purple…click image to see more on Amazon The Perfect Fit frame is an exclusive design that’s ideal for casual and recreational riders. The raised handlebars let you ride in an upright riding position, which is more natural for your back, arms, and hands. The padded seat on this purple cruiser bike is designed to be a little farther back and have a lower center of gravity. It also comes with additional accessories, including a front basket and rear rack.See more on Amazon…
9. WJHWSX Junior Aluminum Full Mountain Bike Stone Mountain 26 Inch 21-Speed Bicycle
10. BCA by Kent 26″ Women’s Charleston Cruiser Bike Pink
Can an adult ride a bike with 24-inch wheels?
Yes, a short adult can ride a bike with 24-inch wheels. Although 24-inch bikes are mostly sold as kid bikes, an adult can ride one. It solely depends on the height and weight of the rider, not the age. For example, adults under 5’10” could benefit from a 24″ bike over an adult-sized bike.
Before riding a smaller bike, always make sure to verify the weight limit. Women whose heights are under 5’10” and weigh less than 200 pounds find riding a 24-inch bike comfortably. This is because the frame is the perfect height to match the length of your torso and legs. Petite people tend to have longer legs and a shorter torso. Bike manufacturers that make smaller bicycles tend to assume this. You should find that you can easily stand over the frame or sit in the saddle, and your feet will be flat on the ground. If this is not the case, the bike is too big.