If you are an avid cyclist who happens to own a dog then you’ve probably daydreamed about bringing your pup along for the ride. Of course, with the way that they pull and tug you’d never be able to get away with just having them trot alongside you.
At this point, most people just put their hands into the air and say, “It’s not going to happen”. That’s an unfortunate stance to take as it has you giving up on what could turn into a great bonding element with your pet.
So instead of giving up on taking your dog with you for a bike ride, you should instead get a little bit creative. We’ve delved deeply into a few different options for incorporating your pet into your cycling hobby and we’ve come up with some simple solutions: on bike dog carriers as well as dog trailers.
Considering a bicycle dog basket? Whether you are a cyclist or not, you simply cannot go wrong with a bicycle dog basket. This is a must-have tool for every hardcore cyclist. We review the better bicycle dog basket brands, which include Venzo, Tommaso, (blank), vitatalpa, cungel, Fizik, Santic, Giro, Pearl iZUMi, Vittoria, and Sidi. Finding the best bicycle dog basket can prove to be a difficult task. Please make the task easier on yourself. If you’re shopping for a bicycle dog basket, it only makes sense that you would want to buy the best for the money. Since this is such a large investment, most people really want to make sure they select the best bicycle dog basket. There are countless bicycle dog baskets available for sale. Some people believe there is no such thing as too many choices, but sorting through them all can be exhausting.Choosing the right model can be a challenging task, but in the long run, it’s well worth the effort. We were able to narrow the list down to our top 10 picks
Top 10 Best Bicycle Dog Baskets Reviewed
1. ANZOME Bike Basket Folding Small Pet Cat Dog Carrier Front Removable Bicycle Handlebar Basket Quick Release Easy Install Detachable Cycling Bag Mountain Picnic Shopping…click image to see more on Amazon Easy to attach via a quick-release handlebar mount, making removal a snap. Holds pets up to 11 pounds. Lightweight & durable. Washed and dried. It can be left in drizzly conditions with no worries. If it gets dirty, rinse it with water and dry it. It is made of a sturdy metal frame with a solid oxford fabric. See more on Amazon…
2. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot Original Medium Dog Bike Basket; Patented No-Sway Technology; 8 Color Options; Bike Dog Carrier; Stable Bike Pet Carrier; Water Stain Resist; Comes Assembled Just Install Mount…click image to see more on Amazon It can carry more weight without swaying than any other front bicycle dog carrier on the market today. Mount installs securely with a screwdriver. Cooling airflow through a front mesh air vent. Has a padded top edge. 2-point, chrome clasp, safety leash attaches to your dog’s harness.See more on Amazon…
3. LEMKA Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier Pet Travel Bag -Removable & Foldable Bike Basket Soft-Sided Carrier with Big Pockets for Dogs and Cats…click image to see more on Amazon LEMKA basket pet carrier features mesh material with a roll-up front window that acts as a cooling air vent. Collapsible so that you can store it flat in any area. Easily carry dog treats, toys, your cell phone, snacks, training kits, and waste bags. The LEMKA is definitely a sound investment. Even if for pets only on the weekends. It’s easy to install and remove, no tool and hardware required.See more on Amazon…
4. Lixada Bike Basket Small Pet Cat Dog Carrier Bicycle Handlebar Front Basket – Folding Detachable Removable Easy Install Quick Released Picnic Shopping Bag Max. Bearing: 15-22lbs…click image to see more on Amazon When the basket is dismounted, it can be re-used as a handbag with a large capacity. Boasts of quick-release handlebar mounting system, very easy to install on the handlebar. Made from a durable Oxford cloth. The aluminum alloy frame is sturdy and unbreakable. Woven canvas construction, super durable and tear-proof. Two plastic straps for unfurling the inner space of baskets. The adjustable closure system is wonderful for increasing the basket capacity.See more on Amazon…
5. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot Wicker MAX – Dog Bicycle Basket Bike Carrier- Includes Wire Top with Sun Shade…click image to see more on Amazon Resin wicker with multi-color extrusion for an incredibly realistic wicker look. Wire Safety containment top (removable) with integrated sunshade included. Fast and easy attachment method used to lock (and unlock) the dog bicycle basket. -2-point, chrome clasp, safety leash (attaches to dogs harness)See more on Amazon…
6. BARKBAY Dog Bike Basket Carrier Expandable Foldable Soft-Sided Dog Carrier 2 Open Doors 5 Reflective Tapes Pet Travel BagDog Backpack Carrier Safe and Easy for Small Medium Cats and Dogs…click image to see more on Amazon Lightweight, durable, and easy to clean. Holds pets up to 11 pounds. Easy to disassemble and reassemble for convenience. It can be left in drizzly conditions with no worries. Waterproof and easy-to-clean. It can also be used as a pet bed or dog car carrier. The basket is made of a sturdy metal frame with a solid oxford fabric, a modern, quick-release handlebar adapter. The bike basket lives up to the quality craftsmanship. The basket is stylish, practical, and incredibly practical.See more on Amazon…
7. Sparkfire Bike Basket Small Pet Cat Dog Carrier Bicycle Handlebar Front Basket – Folding Detachable Removable Easy Install Quick Released Picnic Shopping Bag…click image to see more on Amazon Woven canvas construction, super durable and tear-proof. Design with hand strap for carrying groceries / pets. Removing the basket from the bike only need a simple push. Dismounted basket can be re-used as a handbag with large capacity.See more on Amazon…
8. Bicycle Basket Folding Detachable Cycling Bag Easy Install Quick Released Small Pet Cat Dog Carrier Front Removable Bicycle Handlebar Basket Multi Purpose Black Bike Basket Carrier Picnic Shopping…click image to see more on Amazon Easy on and off release with push of a button. Carries up to 11lb/5kg. Easy to disassemble and reassemble quickly for convenience sake, so you can constantly take the bike basket on and off the bike to use it as a pet bed or dog car carrier. Wear-resisting oxford cloth, built-in waterproof coating, it’s safe even in case of sudden rain, built-in zip pocket, with rope tightening which is ideal to carry goods.See more on Amazon…
9. PetSafe Happy Ride Bicycle Basket for Dogs and Cats – Sport Style Light Nylon Material – Detachable Carrier with Shoulder Strap – Removable Sun Shield – Multiple Storage Pockets – Best for Small Pets…click image to see more on Amazon PetSafe is recognized worldwide as a true icon among bicycle dog baskets. The basket attaches to the handlebar of your bike with the brackets and safety straps. The basket converts to a pet carrier by attaching the removable shoulder strap to let you carry your buddy with you wherever you go. Supports pets up to 13lb and comes with a sun shield to help keep the sun off your pup during bike rides. Pockets on the sides of the basket allow you to conveniently bring your best friend’s leash, treats, water, or poop bags with you.See more on Amazon…
10. Next-Station Collapsible Bike Basket Pet Bicycle Handlebar Carrier for Small Dog Cat Easy Install and Quick Detachable Multi-Purpose Picnic Shopping Bag…click image to see more on AmazonMulti-purpose bike basket attaches via a quick-release mounting adapter, toggle the switch button on the adapter to making removal. It’s very lightweight for easy lift, a sturdy aluminum frame, and environmental 600*600D Oxford cloth. Ideal for bike carriers for small dogs and cats with a built-in pet seat tether. Additional internal zipper pouch and front pockets can store your cell phone, keys, or small objects. When it’s dirty, rinse it and hang it upside down to dry.See more on Amazon…
Different Bicycle Dog Carrier Types
As in all areas of commerce, bicycle dog carriers come in various shapes, sizes, and styles. Walking through the carrier aisle at the pet store or heading onto the internet and looking through places like Amazon will leave you more confused than confident. Let’s break down the different types of carriers out there to see which ones would work for you and your dog and which ones would emphatically NOT work for them. As you know, it is as important to know why something WON’T work as well as why it WILL work.
Soft-sided Dog Carriers
Okay, so the first type of carrier we will delve into is the soft-shelled one. These carriers are typically made of fabric and they are very similar in appearance to your traditional gym bag. Rugged lining, durable fabric, and weatherproof outer material make them perfect for all-weather riding while being light enough to throw on the front or pack of your bike.
Though they are very flexible in their usage we do have some concerns about the fabric carriers and how comfortable the dog is in them.
While the fabric carriers aren’t painful, they are uncomfortable for the dog because they give the least amount of actual support. Your dog will feel a little bit like they are swaying side to side without a sturdy floor below them. With smaller dogs, this isn’t an issue but older animals will find this uncomfortable.
Hard-sided Dog Carriers
Alright, now we are drifting into the most typical baskets and carriers that you likely have seen. Hard carriers can range from wicker baskets to hard, wired frame picnic-style baskets. These harder carriers will typically work the best with bigger dogs as they can be attached to your front bars or even your front forks.
You’ll find a range of options in this style due to their flexibility for both dog carrying and general application. When you aren’t carrying your dog you can use these hard carriers to lug around groceries or whatever you want to have with you on the road.
Now that we’ve covered the basic carriers for smaller dogs we can move onto the heavy-duty carriers: the dog trailer. The dog trailer is created primarily for hauling around a dog that is simply too big to ride up on your handlebars.
We feel like the majority of people will lean toward these trailers as they appear to be the most universal in application and ease of getting the dog comfortable. Dog trailers come in all shapes and sizes and you have to be careful to pick the right one for your dog. We’ll dig into that more in the next section.
Selecting and Riding With a Carrier
Now that you have your carrier of choice selected you should know a few key things about how to use it. Dog carriers are wonderfully effective and efficient but they can also be a pain to the untrained rider, not to mention potentially dangerous to the dog if you don’t know what you are doing. We’ll break down your selection into three parts and help you get on the road in a safe, controlled, and enjoyable manner with your furry friend.
- Pick the right size.
Alright, so you’ve decided to get your hands on a carrier or trailer. The first thing you should do is make sure that you get a size appropriate option for your pet. There are several different sizing options and you want the one that most appropriately matches your pet’s size/weight needs.
- Maintain your balance.
Before you put your dog into your bike or trailer, you should give the carrier a test drive while empty. You will want to get used to how the trailer tugs at your bike or how the carrier moves your balance around. Now compound those biking alterations with the movements of a living creature and you will realize how important it is to keep your balance while you are riding.
- Safety first.
Whether you opt for a trailer or a traditional handlebar carrier you need to make sure that your focus is on safety for your pet. To do this you need to install a harness into your carrier. This will keep your animal in their carrier and it will stop them from jostling around too much. If you elect to use a trailer you will also want to make sure that there is protection above the dog to keep the hot sun out of their face, keeping them cooler. Finally, you want to make sure that you lay down padding to make the ride as comfortable as possible. Remember, your dogs will feel every bump in the road even more than you do because they can’t anticipate it like you.