Compact SUVs can be a way of life for people who are into the outdoor lifestyle but still want a vehicle worthy of traversing them around. For years the Honda CR-V has made a name for itself as a premier option. Initially manufactured back in 1995, the CR-V has seen four generations of releases leading up to our current date and time. Cycling enthusiasts can look to a car like this as the perfect companion to haul their bikes around. The big question you have to ask yourself is this: What bike rack do I need?
Top 6 Best Bike Racks for Honda CR-V Reviewed
1. Premier Trunk Mounted Bike Rack…click image to see more on Amazon It’s obvious that the Allen Sports is the best one for hatch use on your Honda CR-V after examining 6 bike racks. Patent-pending design fits sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUVs. Quick snap set up design allows for super-quick set up right out of the box. The 12-inch long carry arms easily accommodate up to 2 bicycles (70 pounds max capacity) Extra-large car pads help to distribute bicycles load and protect vehicle finish.See more on Amazon…
2. Saris Bones Trunk Bike Rack Carrier…click image to see more on Amazon This bike rack by Saris is a crowd favorite. Lightweight at 11 lbs Rack carries 2 bikes (35/bike); VIP Treatment premium bike hold downs that are easy to use and quick to load. Arcbased design separates bikes on different levels. Articulated rubber feet to protect the paint. Strong & Rust-Free injection-molded arms and legs keep the rack solid for years to come. In praising the new Saris, it’s important to remember that Saris was, until recently, a runt of the bike rack litter.See more on Amazon…
3. Hollywood Racks Over-The-Top Trunk Mounted Bike Rack…click image to see more on Amazon If you’re searching for a bike rack that will fit the Honda CR-V at the best price, the Hollywood Racks is the right choice. High rise adjustable frame designed for SUV’s like the CR-V, Hatchbacks, and cars with spoilers. Includes 3 different types of attachment straps to ensure the right fit for your vehicle. Rubber anti-sway bike cradles and EPDM rubber straps hold up to 3 bikes firmly in place. Comes fully pre-assembled. Folds flat for easy storage in your trunk or garage. Max Capacity: 35lbs per bike.See more on Amazon…
4. FIERYRED Trunk Mounted Bike Rack for SUVs (Sedans/Hatchbacks/Minivans) 3-Bike…click image to see more on Amazon FIERYRED Trunk Mounted Bike Rack. Fits most vehicles including the Honda CR-V and carries 3 bicycles at the same time. Heavy-duty steel construction thickness 25mm with a durable black powder coating resists rust and scratches. Easy to use snap-strap setup system allows for quick and easy installation without any tools. DIY instruction is included in the package. Max Load 128LBs. Included 6 tightening straps which passed through SGS 5000 circles Test. Includes DIY instruction in the package. See more on Amazon…
5. Allen Sports in. 3-Bike Carrier Quick Hitch Model Transport Rack…click image to see more on Amazon This bike rack is easy to clean and doesn’t suffer from the appearance issues that other bike racks do. Allen Sports’ rack is more budget-minded and comes with a locking hitch insert and carry arms that snap in place when not in use. The rack is made of durable material and has a built-in spine shield to protect bicycles.See more on Amazon…
6. Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack Model 102DB…click image to see more on Amazon Simple, sturdy bike carrying system. Fits most sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUVs, including the Honda CR-V. The 12 inches long carry arms accommodate a wide range of bicycle styles. Single configuration design eliminates setup hassles and headaches during installation. The patented individual tie-down system secures and protects ships in certified frustration-free packaging.See more on Amazon…
What to Look For in a Rack
If you’re still unsure which rack is for you, ask yourself the following questions and then move back to the different rack styles above to make your decision.
1) How many bikes am I planning to haul?
You may only have one bike today, but how many will you have in a year? Will you plan on hauling your friend’s bicycles as well?
2) Am I able to maneuver my bike alone?
Some of the racks listed below will require you to put the bicycle above your head. Others will only require you to lift your bike less than a couple of feet high.
3) What is my price range?
As with anything in life, you will have to set your expectations in line with your price range. Certain styles of racks are more than others. Hitch bike racks are usually more than hatch mount models. Fortunately, there is quality at every price level. Unfortunately, you’ll have to dig to find it.
4) What size is my bike?
Bikes come in different shapes and sizes, and they’ll fit in different ways with these racks. You’ll want to take stock of your bike size before committing to a particular rack type — especially if you plan on hauling more than one bicycle around.
Selecting a Bike Rack
If you wander on over to the sports store or even click around on some cycling websites, you’ll undoubtedly see that the world is filled with rack options. These bicycle racks come in a variety of shapes, sizes, styles, and prices. How do you narrow down your search? Well, you can start by looking for what will fit your car right. Listed below are the different types of racks that work excellently with most Honda CR-V models.
The hitch rack is uber common and a cheap way to haul bikes around. If your CR-V has a hitch receiver already installed, then finding a rack will be simple. Hitch racks are typically reserved for cars that fit in Class 2 through Class 4 hitch racks, meaning they are made for heavyweights. The CR-V is an all-around vehicle, so this should be an option for you. If you don’t have a hitch, you can also have one installed. These racks typically hold anywhere from 2 to 5 bikes at maximum, and they are placed on the rear end of your car.
The roof rack is almost self-explanatory, but we’ll give you some details anyway. If your CR-V is equipped with the appropriate mounting points on your roof, then this sort of rack will be safe and straightforward to utilize. A roof rack is typically affordable, and they are prized for their versatility. You can adapt your roof rack for all-season usage, and its placement on top of your car keeps it out of the way. Bicycles locked into roof racks typically are much more stable when installed. You DO have to deal with getting them up and down every time, and that could be an issue for solo riders or cyclists who are not tall enough to manipulate the rack.
The trunk rack is probably the lightest and most versatile rack on this list, and it is also the perfect option for CR-V owners. These racks fasten down to the rear of your vehicle with ergonomic and easy-to-use straps and hooks. Bikes are strapped down and stabilized against rack cradles. If you opt to go this route, then you need to know that you’ll only be able to pack away a maximum of two or three bikes, depending on their size. The convenience of these racks makes them a popular piece of equipment though there are some issues. Trunk racks are not as stable as the other racks on this list, resulting in swaying and bike movement. It would help if you also changed how you drive when hauling bikes around as your car’s extended back end can create new issues.
If you have a spare tire mount on the back of your Honda CR-V, you are ahead of the pack when it comes to versatile bike rack options. Spare tire racks are light, ergonomic, and easy to install due to how compact they are. The downside to this sort of rack is that it lacks flexibility and can only carry up to two total bikes. You’ll also have to remove the cover on your tire. You also want to pay attention so that your bike does not cover up your license plate or taillights, as that could lead to some issues with law enforcement.
Can you put a bike rack on a Honda CRV?
Yes, you put a bike rack on a Honda CRV. If you have a trailer hitch, a hitch-mounted bike rack is a good choice. Otherwise, you can also go with a “trunk” mount rack made for SUVs. Most fit a variety of vehicles, including the Honda CRV, simply by adjusting the straps.
What bike rack fits a Honda CRV?
- Saris Bones Trunk Bike Rack Carrier
- Hollywood Racks Over-The-Top Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
- FIERYRED Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
- Allen Sports in. 3-Bike Carrier Quick Hitch Model Transport Rack
- Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack Model 102DB
- KAC Overdrive Sports K2 Hitch Mounted Rack
- Swagman XTC4 Hitch Mount Bike Rack
- YAKIMA RidgeBack Tilt-Away Hitch Bike Rack
Which bike rack is best for my SUV?
If you have a trailer hitch, a hitch-mounted bike rack is best for your SUV.
How do you put a bike rack on an SUV?
To put a bike rack on an SUV, it’s easy. If it is a rear hatch-mounted bike rack, hook the brackets on the straps’ ends to the hatch door’s edges and then tighten the straps. If it is hitch-mounted, slide it into your trailer hitch. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.